01722 410664

Are you a landlord seeking to obtain possession of your property?

on Wednesday, 09 May 2018. Posted in Litigation & Disputes

Most tenancies are granted on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. Landlords may wish to evict a tenant to simply regain possession of their property. A Section 21 notice needs to be served on a tenant providing at least 2 months’ notice to leave. Proceedings will need to be issued at court should the tenant not leave by the specified date.

A tenant who stops paying their rent is a common problem. In order to evict a tenant for rent arrears a Section 8 notice needs to be served on them providing at least 2 weeks’ notice to quit before proceedings are commenced at court.  

Provided the correct procedure is followed most landlords will be able to successfully evict a tenant and regain possession of their property. Some tenants may decide to leave the property and the process will be shortened.   It is essential for a landlord to comply with their legal obligations on commencement of a tenancy and throughout to ensure that they are not prevented from obtaining possession.

For more advice, please contact Katherine Samuels on 01722 410664 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.