Debt collection work will be undertaken by a fee earner in our Litigation and Disputes department, supervised by head of department, Matthew Knight, an experienced litigation solicitor.
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid business invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt value||Court fee||Our fee|
|Up to £10,000||£35 to £455||£495 +VAT|
|£10,001 to £50,000||£5% of the value of claim||£995 +VAT|
|Over £200,000||£10,000||£1,495 +VAT|
Further details on court fees are available from gov.uk here:
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending on to you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgement of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgment in default.
- When Judgment in default is received, writing to the other side to request payment.
- If payment is not received, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as the application fee. We will pay the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Enquiry Agent to locate debtor £75 to £200 plus VAT (we often use a no-find, no-fee service).
Land Registry searches £3 to £18
Bankruptcy search £2
Register of County Court Judgment search £15 to £75
Matters usually take 1 to 6 weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgment in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.