Moving at Christmas – are you prepared?
In a year when conveyancing has experienced more uncertainty than ever before the recent upturn in property moves has been most welcome. With an area so subject to external pressure the reduced Stamp Duty rates, introduced by the Government in July and set to remain until 31st March 2021, have had a real positive effect on house sales and purchases.
The housing market remains open during lockdown so many people want to move before Christmas. The completion date may be set, or at least pencilled in, removers could already be booked and packing started but it is worth bearing in mind the following points to help ensure the move goes as smoothly as possible.
- Above all plan ahead and be organised.
- Start packing non-essentials as soon as you can remembering to leave the decorations somewhere accessible!
- Give utility companies plenty of notice and make sure you make a note of meter readings at both properties on the day of the move.
- Given the time of year and potential inclement weather obtain contact details for local services /repairs such as plumbers etc well in advance.
- Find out new waste collection dates before completion.
During the current lockdown and festive season many businesses involved in the conveyancing process, and indeed suppliers/service providers may adopt different operating hours. It is recommended that any queries or concerns are raised well in advance and any practical issues are considered in good time so that the move runs as smoothly as possible.