Request a free call back:

Thank you, we'll contact you shortly.

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Domestic Violence - How to Get Help

If you have experienced physical/sexual violence, threats (including threats by text, email or social media), emotional abuse, harassment or controlling behaviour from somebody you are in an intimate relationship with or a family member firstly contact the police, especially in an emergency.  They can often act immediately, e.g. by making the other party leave your home, issuing a Harassment Notice, or helping you to obtain a restraining order at no cost to you.

Sometimes the police do not have enough evidence to obtain protection by means of a court order but often solicitors can obtain orders through the family court where the burden of proof is lower.

It is vital to report domestic violence to your GP and seek medical help promptly for any injuries.  Hospital/GP notes can be produced as evidence to the court.

Where children are involved take urgent advice from a solicitor, their safety is paramount and they can suffer harm even if they are not the victims.

We are very experienced in dealing with such sensitive situations.  For more information or to arrange an initial free 30 minute meeting contact Erica Cottrell or Tina Coward on 01722 410664 or email or