Request a free call back:

Thank you, we'll contact you shortly.

Monday 16 December 2013

How do I dissolve a Civil Partnership?

To start proceedings you need to have a Civil Partnership of more than one year in length.

Either you or your partner will then need to issue a Dissolution Petition based on the unreasonable behaviour of the other party, two years’ separation with the other party’s consent or five years’ separation. (Same sex couples cannot use the ground of adultery.)

Where children are involved you will also need to file a statement of arrangements setting out who they will live with and how much contact they will have with your partner.

You will also need to file your original Civil Partnership certificate with the Court (or a certified copy) and pay an issue fee to start the proceedings.

If you both agree that the Dissolution should proceed undefended the procedure is relatively simple and does not require attending court. If the Dissolution is defended (which is rare) you will need to attend court.  

For more advice please contact Erica Cottrell and Tina Coward on 01722 410664.